Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Victim of Identity Theft

I recently was a victim of identity theft. I still haven't grasped the idea of what exactly happened but it sill has left me in shock. Someone apparently got hold of my MBNA credit card number and was charging like there was no end. How did I find out? I called to inquire if my payment reached on time and the associate after verifying my identity told me that my card was blocked as there had been some suspicious activity. Blocked? How? What? Apparently they tried to contact me but I had not updated my new number with them, so as a precaution they blocked my card. THANK GOD! After verifying that out of the thousands of $$$ in charges only $4, that's right $4 was mine she informed me that my card was canceled a new card was issued with a new account number. Phewww!

But I still can't figure out how this happened. I never use my cards online. I always use the virtual account numbers that you can generate to buy stuff online. I have read articles where restaurant employees swipe your card and retain the information which they later either sell or use. What a world we live in!

Word of Advice: Check you accounts at least weekly, set up e-alerts if your card issuer offers them. Keep track, if anything seems suspicious call the credit card company or bank immediately.

No comments: