Saturday, September 23, 2006

Cleaning Up A Big Mess

Let me ask you a few questions:

  1. Have you ever bought anything that came with a mail in rebate? Did you mail it in? Did you keep track? And Finally did you receive it? If not, did you fight it and receive it then?
  2. Has any online business ever con you out of money, or charged you outrageous fees? Were you refunded?
  3. Have you ever had trouble with a retail store, shop or business where you think you were taken advantage off? Did you fight it and get whatever it was (money, goods, service, etc) ?
If you can relate to any of the above let me tell you, you are not alone. I have had many problems with many businesses, websites, rebates etc. However, I have managed to get everything resolved be it a rebate check or a service charge refund. I am going to share my strategy with you, using real life examples.

Chaotic Mess # 1: Acomdata Rebate for an External Hard Drive - $30.00
I bought the hard drive during a promotion at CompUsa. I am responsible with rebates, I complete them, make a copy and log them in an excel file with the date and amount to keep track. I mail them out and wait. If the rebate is not received within the given time frame I contact the merchant to check on the status. I sent the rebate and after the time frame I contacted Acomdata via their customer service number and was told to wait another 3 weeks as it was in process. Given I was not in a hurry, I reluctantly accepted. Still no rebate, I called them again and was told they never got my rebate! Frustrated I emailed them and was told to email then a copy of everything and a picture of the hard drive. I did that. Still no rebate, I had an exchange of about 7 emails after that they stooped replying. I sent 1 email a day for a week and got no reply. Pissed! I resorted to my last option, which now come to think should have been my first option! I filed a complaint at the Better Business Bureau online (it took only 2 mins) and one with the FTC. Results? Within 2 weeks I had the check in my hand and an apology from Acomdata!

I can share a lot more things, but I guess you can get the picture. Remember you have rights, and you should not give up! It does not take too much effort all this can be done online within minutes. Follow these simple steps:
  • Contact the merchant and keep a copy of the email.
  • If you feel no resolution will be reached, file a complaint with the BBB
  • File a complaint with the FTC.
  • SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH EVERYONE! BLOG IT! POST IT! GET THE WORD OUT!
***Currently I am having an issue with PayPal. I will let you know how that goes. FYI read reviews about PayPal online. I would not trsut them with my money!***

No comments: